[Public-list] Chainplates/bolts

Roger L Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Fri Oct 7 07:46:08 PDT 2005

John,

No nuts on through bolts, very strange.  My friend, who built his boat from a bare hull, tapped/threaded the fiberglass on his through hull connections but put washers and nuts on the inside of the hull.  He used a torque wrench to thread the bolt into the fiberglass first then added lock nuts below.  Seems to me, the different strengths of the fiberglass threads and the SS nut threads would be a problem; but, 25 years later, still no leaks.

#148 (1966 vintage) had aluminum rivets about every 6" plus the toe rail was bolted through the hull w/ 3/16" SS bolts 6" OC (with washers and nuts underneath).  I wonder if the rivets were just to hold the joint together while it cured.  They were small and had turned to mostly white dust.  I don't think the bolts were very effective either.  Many were bent and loose and, the wood rail can compress causing loss of tension on the bolts.  Fortunately, I had no delimitation of the joint.

I ended up countersinking 3/16" SS rivets 4" OC through the joint and covering the heads with epoxy.  The tensile strength of the rivets is about 85% that of the bolts.  They must strong, I broke three rivet guns installing them.  Current plan is the new toe rail will mount on vertical 1/4" SS "tabs" welded to 3/8" SS plates bolted thorough the deck/hull joint which will allow a good friction connection.  The hope is, if the rail gets bumped, the tab will give before the through hull bolts loosen.

Roger Kingsland
Chief Boat Boy, Rubber/Scraper and Check Writer
Alberg 30 #148, PERFECT intentions
N40°29.2864'  W79°54.2202'

"You don't have to think outside of the box, but it doesn't hurt to peek over the edge once in a while."
Leonardo Da Vinci (or somebody like that)

Roger Kingsland
Managing Partner
KSBA Architects
N40°- 27.83'  W79°- 57.99'