[Public-list] deck stains

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 10 06:09:59 PDT 2005

Hi Bill,

If there are stains other than from sloppy wood refinishing jobs, it may be
due to porous gel coat. I found that, as the boat got older, it was more and
more difficult to prevent stains on the deck. It became more difficult to
clean. I decided to paint the deck, mostly to seal the gel coat. It is a big
decision, becasue once you paint the deck, you will need to repaint it
occassionally. I have owned my boat 33 years and have painted the deck
twice. The first time [about 20 years ago] I used interthane plus (2-part)
and the second time [about 10 years ago] I painted only the smooth areas
with Brightsides. The non-skid still looks good from the original painiting
but the Brightside paint did not hold up as well and could use a fresh coat.
Interlux has a new paint called 'Redititions" [I think] which I plan to
learn about. Another reason that I painted is that my boat has an end-grain
balsa core and I was concerned about water penetration through the porous
gel coat  which would cause delamination. I don't know if this worked or
not, but I don't have any delamination.

Mike Lehman