[Public-list] chainplates/bolt size

dan walker dsailormon at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 10 08:36:08 PDT 2005

ok, thanks to all. another item on the to do list. now i will have to start  running again to fit into those spots to remove and replace
dan
inwiddie <gdinwiddie at alberg30.org> wrote:
As others have noted, there have been failures. Bruce Rankin did an
analysis and found that the cumulative breaking strength of the bolts
for a single chainplate was approximately half that of the rigging wire.
Increasing the bolt size to 5/16" makes it slighly greater than the
rigging wire.

dan walker wrote:
> i know everyone recommends increasing the size of the hardware
> attaching the chainplates to the bulkheads, but has there ever been a
> documented failure.?i was staring at mine and they "appear" fine, but
> of course i cannot see what is in the wood.
>
> also, a pretty good squeeze for a fat guy like me in the hanging
> locker. oh yeah, i am also re learning the old saying, if it aint
> broke dont fix it
> dan
> rascal 145

When I remember bygone days George Dinwiddie
I think how evening follows morn; gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
So many I loved were not yet dead, http://www.Alberg30.org
So many I love were not yet born.
'The Middle' by Ogden Nash