[Public-list] deck stains

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 10 09:48:10 PDT 2005

I used a small 3" foam [the yellow one] roller and a china bristle brush to
tip off the paint. It is important to buy the right kind of roller, so I
used the West Systems rollers and cut them down to 3". Other rollers will
disentrgate with epoxy paints. The bushes are those creap china bristle
brushes. They shed a lot in the beginning which is annoying. I would save
the brush, wrap it in aluminum fils and store it in the freezer...they got
better with continued use. A couple of tips...

1. don't paint late in the day.the evning dew will 'flash' the paint and it
will loose it's shine.
2. don't try to paint the whole boat at once. Break the job up into
sections.
3. don't 'overwork' the paint with the brush since it will leave brush
stokes.
4. roll the paint out evenly with the roller, then use the brush to tip off
the air bubbles.
5. thin coats are better that a heavy coat. Avoid sags and runs.

It takes practice, but if done properly it will look like it was sprayed.
This is especially true with Brightsides since it has such great leveling
properties.

Mike Lehman