[Public-list] Anchors

Peter Hay phay at netcom.ca
Tue Oct 11 05:21:15 PDT 2005

  I guess I am coming in late on the anchor discussion but I can't help
taking issue with this business of chain not being necessary.  My wife and I
regularly anchor our A30 in Lake Huron and Georgian Bay.  We have tried a
little chain and a lot of chain and more wins hands down.  Scope is
extremely important and the chain assists by keeping the anchor shank of my
25lb. CQR horizontal.  That way when the wind changes direction the anchor
has less chance of breaking out.  I generally use a 7/1 ratio with 40 feet
of chain and related length of line.  If we are in very small coves the
chain allows us to use much less line where our swing is limited.

  Peter Hay
  Rubicon
  Goderich, Ontario