[Public-list] Reefing lines

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Sun Oct 16 15:01:18 PDT 2005

I think I forgot to mention that the line goes down on the same side it goes up on. It does not cross over the boom at the gooseneck as Haren and others recommend. That is partly what makes it work so well because friction is reduced dramatically.  I actually have the turning bock - it is really a foot block - mounted on the mast aft of the mast's centerline.

I have the system you describe  - a winch on both sides and stoppers for the reefing lines - one on each side. The starboard side handles the frist reef and the main halyard while the port side handles the second reef, outhaul, cunningham, and vang.

My experience is that a 3 line clutch systrem would not be confusing if you put labels on all the stopper handles and provide some instructions. It can look complex to the uninitated, but it works great on our size boat.

>>> eddiediver at sbcglobal.net 10/14/05 10:15 AM >>>
Is the forward turning block on the stbd. side of the boom, near the gooseneck? How far forward of the rear face of the mast (and the mainsail luff) is the deck-mounted turning block?

As for lines running back over the cabin top. We have a cabin top mounted winch on the port side of the main hatch and the stbd. side of the hatch.The port side has 2 line clutches; one for the topping lift and one for the jib halyard.  The stbd. winch (without line clutches) is used for the main halyard.

Would it be confusing on a club boat to also add a 3-line clutch system and have the halyard and 2 reef lines on the same winch? Ed. Schroeder

FINNUS505 at aol.com wrote:

Great testimonial for the single line reefing system! Do you have a jackline
to let the lower sail slides to pull away from the mast? Any special way you
lead the halyard aft?
Thx,
Lee

In a message dated 10/10/2005 3:27:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,