[Public-list] (no subject)

edward schroeder eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 17 06:59:06 PDT 2005

I agree with Mike about the plastic valves. I switched to bronze ball valves 4 years ago on #303 Emotional Rescue. I also had the advantage of a very short adapt helper to get into the lazerrettes for the two cockpit drain hoses. Make sure that the backing plates on the interior of the hull are sound. I bedded ours in polyurethane one-part sealant. Ed. Schroeder

Mike Lehman <sail_505 at hotmail.com> wrote:Absolutely - If you are replacing thru hulls, there is no point trying to
unscrew them, Just use a Sawzall and cut them off. I would replace the with
bronze thru hulls and bronxe ball valves. years ago, when I replaced all of
my gate valves, I used marelon valves and I since been in the process of
replacing them with bronze ones. I have found that the plastic ones become
very hard to turn over time, and I worry about breaking the handles off.

Mike Lehman