[Public-list] Reefing Lines

Dudley Baker dudley.baker at kongsberg.com
Tue Oct 18 08:28:08 PDT 2005

All -
Here is a different perspective on reefing for the A30.  Background: My sailing with 297 is coastal
New England, with majority of cruising Buz Bay/Eliz Islands.  On Buzzards Bay,  I find a double slab
reef is used more than one would think, (for both safety and basic comfort).    I can certainly
appreciate Lee's Stargazer system, with reefing lines led aft to cockpit.  My system, (changed from
the old boom roller system last spring), follows Lee's system up to the forward end of the boom.  It
is here where I have cleats on either side for first and second reefs.  I then have a stainless hook
attached to 3/8" line that affixes to cringle and dead ends on cleat on base of mast.
1)  Yes, this forces me to get off my duff and travel forward, but it also forces me to look ahead
and reef early -- i.e., either at the mooring or at sea before it gets too rough.  When letting out
the reef, matters have calmed down sufficiciently so that the trip to the mast isn't very wild.
2)  The less friction I have and the less holes I drill into my deck, the more comfortable I am.
3)  K.IS.S.

Dudey Baker
Heron 297