[Public-list] Re: Hurricane Piling Setup

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 19 07:54:43 PDT 2005

Allen and Richard,

Thanks for the thorough description of what you do to prepare your boat for a hurricane.  I appreciate all your thoughts on the matter. Four feet of sliding rings would help measurably for the 7 ft storm surge that you had.  I also suppose that one is limited in the line scope they can use while in a slip that is confined to 12 or 14 ft wide.  What would happen in a ten or twelve ft storm surge?

We all pay insurance premiums based on the average yearly claims to the insurance companies.  When 80% of the boat owners don't bother to learn how to at least try to prepare their boats, and don't make those preparations then we all pay more than we would need to otherwise.  For me, I can't get enough information on how to protect my Alberg 30 in adverse weather, either in port or out to sea.  Responsibility is part of boat ownership. I wish more owners would practice proper storm preparation.

I realize that LUCK has a lot to do with it.  Allen did his preparation, but he was lucky as well.

Michael

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com wrote:
Allen, I was very interested in the setup on your pilings. Could you
describe the type of round bar, how the standoff is fabricated, and what
you used for the rings. Thanks a lot. This would probably work on the
pier that we have in the lower Chesapeake.

Richard Hazlegrove
Quest #433
Mobjack Bay, VA.