[Public-list] (no subject)

Roger L Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Tue Oct 25 06:10:11 PDT 2005

John,

My forward well (in the head area) on #148 is very shallow and looks to be
the top of the keel (clink, clink when you tap it).  It and the next one aft
have sloped bottoms.  The two aft compartments have plywood floors through
which I drilled  3" holes to see what's down there and found the top of the
keel a few inches below the plywood.  The keel slopes down going aft and
water that gets in the compartments (and the cavities under the aft two)
drains into the bilge.  Perhaps you simply need to open some existing or new
holes between the top of the keel and the bilge to let the trapped water
out.

There is a bulkhead separating the aft compartment from the bilge/engine
area that runs from under the cabin sole to about 6" from bottom of the
bilge where it stops and a portion of the cast iron keel extends 2"+/- into
the bilge (creating a little shelf near the bottom of the bilge).  I have
always assumed the water from the top of the keel made its way to the bilge
through there.

Unrelated to your issue but relative to the same area of the boat, I could
not find anything fastening the cabin sole to the sides of the hull.  I gave
myself a nice headache sticking my head in the battery compartments with a
flashlight and it appears the wood cabin sole just butts into the side of
the hull and is only fastened to the little bulkheads separating the battery
boxes and bilge.

Roger

Roger Kingsland
Chief Boat Boy, Rubber/Scraper and Check Writer
Alberg 30 #148, PERFECT intentions
N40°29.2864'  W79°54.2202'

"You don't have to think outside of the box, but it doesn't hurt to peek
over the edge once in a while."
Leonardo Da Vinci (or somebody like that)