[Public-list] Main Hatch Cover Replacement

JOHN GRAVES jg1111 at msn.com
Wed Oct 26 13:55:30 PDT 2005

Hi Andrew,
My friend has a carpentry shop and will make this for me. He suggested sort of the same thing you have. I am a little hesitant to do it in this way mainly because I have been removing the plywood from the interior of the boat that has started delaminating. I have to say that it did last quite a while, the boat is 40 years old. It is still difficult fo me to put any laminated type of wood back on the boat. My friend told me that the resins used today are far superior than what they had 40 years ago, but in a marine environment, especially on the external part of the boat constantly exposed to the elements, I would feel a lot better having something of a solid construction. My friend has a stock of really excellant Burmese natural growth teak that is hard to come by these days. I wouldn't use it for just anything because it took hundreds of years to grow, but it will be put to good use on this boat and if constructed right, should last 100 years or better. I am only using wood on this, the cockpit seats, the coaming, handrails on the top, toerails, and the tiller. Everything else will be fiberglass stainless steel,or bronze. I want to be sure It is strongly constructed and can support the weight of someone stepping on it which I know will happen sooner or later. I'm not going back to the cauking in between though. That was a real pain to maintain.
I am probably not going to have the louvered hatch board but just put a solid one in there, but I am wondering if I will develope mildew, etc. inside from the lack of ventilation? Do all of the Albergs have this type of vented hatch boards?
John