[Public-list] Anchors

Amy & David Swanson zira at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 6 19:03:46 PDT 2005

All -

At the risk of swimming against the tide, let me chime in.  The area I sail
is a lot like the Chesapeake.  The bottom is mostly soft mud, a few areas of
sand or scoured sand.

The popular rig here is a Fortress, in the "mud" position usually, with 10 -
20' of stainless or galvanized cable, then 1/2" or larger rope.  The steel
cable buries into the mud or sand with the anchor much better than chain,
allowing the anchor to dig down to where the mud is more firm.

This rig is so effective that the owner of the marina where I keep Strayaway
Child has posted an open letter basically telling anyone who used a
different rig for a hurricane anchor that they were endangering all the
other boats (all boats are required to leave the docks if a hurricane is
forecast to hit the area).

During the hurricanes, I use 2  40 lb Danforths with 20' of cable & 220' of
5/8".  I can't afford the larger Fortresses, and I like the extra weight.
For normal anchors, I use smaller Viking (aluminum) with 10' of cable & 1/2"
line.  Either way, I use chafing guards that go from the cleat to about 2'
past the chocks.

This rig lacks the weight of the chain that helps absorb the shock at low
loads, and wouldn't work well in rocks or coral, but it is pretty effective
in mud & sand.

Just something to think about.

David Swanson
Strayaway Child