[Public-list] Re: Public-list Digest, Vol 513, Issue 1

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 20 09:30:13 PDT 2005

Allen,
Since you are taking digital photos for Richard could you send them to me as well? Thank you.

Because the four foot 1" rod is only fastened at each end it would be easy to bend somewhere near the middle.  You would most likely be able to bend it outward from the piling with your bare hands.  Even bent it will work to allow the lines attached to slide up and down as the sea rises.

What might be cool and expensive would be to install traveler track the entire length of the twelve feet of the piling that is above the water line.  Install a car on each track and your slip lines to the car.  Then you would be able to utilize the entire length of the piling.  Currently you are limited to the four ft between the rod fasteners. This arrangement wouldn't have to be mfg from boat parts.  An eye beam arrangement with a gantry crane car could be used. Might be able to do this for $75.00 per piling.

What do boats do where the tide range is fifteen feet?

Thank you again for discussing your precautions with the group.

Michael #133

REDDERHS at aol.com wrote:
Michael, you are of course right in saying I was lucky, there is no doubt.
Not only did I have to do all that I could but it's important that the boats
around you do what they can as well.
Richard, I can try to take some pictures this weekend and e-mail them to
your personal account if you like. I'll take the pictures of the one that has
the bow. It still amazes me when I think that the force could bend a one inch
piece of galvanized round bar and not pull out the chocks or cleats.
Allen