[Public-list] Pushpit, et al

George Mathis georage at comcast.net
Sat Sep 10 15:02:56 PDT 2005

Thanks to all those who sent me deck pictures, or directed me to
pictures. I was able to bed and mount almost all of #439's deck
hardware. I ended up painting the boat, because I think it needed it,
and because the boat I have dreamed about is blue ... feel free to check
out my post at Tim Lackey's Triton site. The boat is coming together great.

http://www.triton381.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1209

I have a few questions to ask now that I have returned from a long week
of work on the boat. Hopefully you folks are not yet tired of helping!

1) I don't seem to have a pushpit (aft pulpit). Any ideas where to get a
used one?

2) Most of the deck hardware (cleats, winches, etc) was NOT backed up
with a backing plate, just washers, and not even large ones. Is this
typical?

3) The toe rails do not quite match the curve of the hull. Should I try
to bend them when installing them? They are clearly labelled and seemed
to be less curved than they need to be. #439 has 3 toerails on the port
/ starboard sides that interlock. Has anyone else reinstalled these?

4) The handrail that goes above the cabin and inside the cabin is
missing. Has anyone ever made a new one? It seems like it would not be
tough, but if someone else has the measurements, I would like to use them.

5) The windows were a real pain! It seems the frames are NOT all
identical and you must match them to a partner. Also, the smaller ones
do not seem to fit the existing screw holes. Not to mention that "one
size does not fit all" so you have to measure each window. I would have
thought each of the smaller windows would be identical, but apparently
not with #439. It seems there are two lengths of screws as well, and the
shorter ones are not long enough for use with screws, the long ones
barely are. My frames are in great shape, so I would like to use them,
but had to leave three of the smaller windows undone because I ran out
of long screws. Also, what thickness of Lexan do you suggest? I used
quarter-inch but am thinking I may try something thicker. Has anyone
reinstalled portlights?

6) I need new spreaders, my wood ones are toast. Anyone have dimensions
or a fabricator they have used?

Thanks again for all the help.

-- George