[Public-list] Painting teak toerails

JohnI a30blueteal at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 06:18:50 PDT 2005

The teak toerails, hatch covers, and coamings on my boat are currently
varnished. After one season in the sun, the varnish is faded and peeling.
Bare wood is starting to show in places. It is particularly bad on the
toerails. My research so far has concluded that I need to strip this down
and start over with 6-8 coats of new varnish, then apply a coat or two of
new varnish every year to keep up the protection. As much fun as this
sounds, I'm thinking that I would prefer to remove the varnish, paint the
wood, and add a coat or two of paint every 3 or 4 years. Has anyone on the
list done this? If so, I'd appreciate info on the materials and technique
you used. Thanks.
 John