[Public-list] Prop Size

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com
Wed Sep 21 13:28:36 PDT 2005

Al and Roger,

You need to determine your transmission reduction ratio in order to
compare apples to apples.

I have a BMW 12 hp diesel with a 2.7x reduction gear.  This gearing
produces less than 1,100 prop shaft RPM at optimum engine cruising speed
(80% of max RPM).  This produces a relatively slow shaft speed with a fair
amount of shaft torque and allows for a big prop with lots of pitch,
13"x14 pitch.  I seem to get away with the 13" prop which is close for our
appature probably because it isn't spinning very fast.  In fact,  I can
note some minor cavitation noise if I push the engine RPMs much beyond my
2,900 engine RPM cruising speed.  I suspect those whose transmissions
produce faster shaft speeds are the ones that suggest that 12" is as big
as you want to go for our boats.

I can get about 5.5kts in flat water with a clean bottom,  about 5 kts.
with a little wind and chop and only about 3.5kts-4kts.  when the seas get
above a few feet and the wind over 15kts or so.   That's when an extra 10
hp would come in handy.