[Public-list] Mast support

p.a.amos at tesco.net p.a.amos at tesco.net
Wed Sep 21 21:44:23 PDT 2005

I have strengthened the coachroof  beneath the mast step by removing the saturated core and it is now three times the area of the deck plate and 3/4 inch thick solid f/glass with alternate layers of matt and cloth.
This still does not change the physics,three inches of plate forward of the aluminium beam three inches over the beam and six inches aft of the beam.
I propose to add a hardwood beam behind the aluminium beam about three inches thick and shaped to he curve of the underside of the coachroo.This will be supporte by two vertical posts either side of the V berth door and  bolted to the bulkhead.This should change the physics from 3,3,6 to 3,6,3.
Opinions please,would this be overkill.Thinking in terms of an Atlantic crossing,not racing or island hopping.
Pete
TaitTait #478