[Public-list] Glow plugs?

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Thu Sep 29 11:18:28 PDT 2005

After reading the recent suggestions, I'm wondering if maybe it IS the glow
plugs that could be the problem.  (Someone suggested the individual plug
test on the batt. May be misleading....)  But all three failing at once
seems weird, and all test fine directly on the batt (red hot, etc.)  I will
try suggested tests from you all to see what further info I can glean about
them, however.

Gallery Marine, the Universal parts dealer in Seattle, said they sell a fair
number of pre--heat solenoids of this model.  A mechanic there said that
"sometimes" solenoids click but don't connect and have to be replaced.
These things reinforced my suspicions about that switch.

So-- we'll see what happens after more fiddling around this weekend.

I always appreciated diesels because of their rep for being so very
reliable, steady, simple, etc.  In the several years with the boat, though,
I find my Honda auto gas engine to be significantly more reliable than the
diesel.  Hopefully I have just a bit more to learn about diesels before I'm
"there" with their maintenance.

Randy Katz
Seattle/Bellingham