[Public-list] outboard vs. inboard

Patty J Timbuktu5555 at webtv.net
Fri Sep 30 21:45:37 PDT 2005

I used to own a 1971 Catalina 27 that had an inboard.  I raced it.
There was another 1971 Catalina 27 that the owner had taken the inboard
out of and put a 9.9 Yamaha off the stern.  He was handicapped to be
faster than my boat.  He beat me every time and we got into this heated
discussion after one race and he said he was a better sailor.  I
challenged him to race on my boat and me on his boat.  He agreed.  He
made sure our boats were in the same condition.  His sails were newer,
so I offered him to put them on my boat and he did.  We took everything
off both boats, including the cushions.  We raced each others boats and
I won in his boat three times before he finally realized and so did the
rules committee and the PHRF committee that he needed a different
rating.  The new rating helped some, but during light air, with my prop,
he still could pass me by.

Patty
Timbuktu 461