[Public-list] Moor on docking

Roger L Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Wed Sep 14 07:43:04 PDT 2005

Phil Prosser wrote,
"Learn how to sail her to the dock.  It can be done... I know because I
have had to do it several times."

Speaking of docking;

I sailed with my family on the wooden schooner Appledore III in Boothbay
Harbor, ME several years ago.  She is one of several Appledores owned by
Herb
and Doris Smith and was being day chartered while they finished work below
before making another circumnavigation.

Anyway, we motored out to spy some whales and sailed back through a tight
harbor, right
up to the dock.  Not bad for 65' on deck and 25 tons displacement, talk
about momentum.  We did sufficiently "bump" the dock for Herb to
immediately go forward and check for damage which there was none.

I went to summer school at Tabor Academy in Marion, MA (back way before
email) where they had a neat teaching exercise that I would like my kids to
learn (in "Stupid Dingy," not the A30).  The instructor would hold a balloon
against the leeward side of the dock and we wee sailors had to head into the
wind and touch the balloon with bow of our wee sloops without breaking it
(or
the dock, as was the unfortunate case for one student who shall remain
unnamed).

Then there was the time a friend and I stopped at a at a marina near the
Chart House Restaurant in Annapolis.  Three of four guys at the gas dock
standing next
to a Donzi fishing boat (I didn't know Donzi made fishing boats but this one
looked pretty nice; about 32 feet with a big, open cockpit and fly bridge).
Because of their perplexed expressions we asked what up and learned that the
operator had pumped fuel into a fishing rod holder mounted in the narrow
side deck (you know, one of those round chrome flanges with a rubber cover).
They
were speculating as to the best way to remove 75 gallons of gasoline from
the bilge.  I extinguished my cigarette.

Roger Kingsland
Chief Boat Boy, Rubber/Scraper and Check Writer
Alberg 30 #148, PERFECT intentions
N40-33.92, W79-51.25

"You don't have to think outside of the box, but it doesn't hurt to peek
over the edge once in a while."
Leonardo Da Vinci (or somebody like that)