[Public-list] Outboard motors as emergency units

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Sep 14 20:29:45 PDT 2005

Phil Prosser wrote:
> Learn how to sail her to the dock.  It can be done... I know because I have
> had to do it several times.

Yes, the good thing about an unreliable engine is that it teaches you to
sail better.  I spent a summer with intermittent overheating problems,
and got to practice docking under sail, rafting under sail, and
perservering in light air.  I probably learned more that one summer than
all of the other years, combined.

This summer, my exhaust blew out as I started the engine to take a bunch
of 10-year-olds out.  So we sailed.  Actually *they* sailed.  It was
light air, upwind, and I got *zero* complaints from them.  They knew
there was no choice.

Life is *so* enjoyable when you get down to the simple essence.  That's
what a sailboat is all about.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.