[Public-list] Painting teak toerails

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Tue Sep 20 11:53:33 PDT 2005

On the topic of varnish...........

This year I tried something new. I put two coats of West system epoxy on my
cockpit locker hatches, and then three coats of varnish. I had read about this
 technique, and wanted to try it.

As we had such a late launch this year, it is not a good test, but so far,
it all looks good. The wood grain does not glow quite as bright and warm as
with  an all varnish finish, but it's pretty damn close.

I sanded down to the wood, and applied the first coat of epoxy. I wanted to
apply the second coat before the epoxy had completely cured, so that I would
not  have to wash off the wax that rises to the surface after curing, or sand
between  coats. It was about 65 degrees in my basement at the time, so I had to
wait  about an hour. The test is that the epoxy is smooth to the touch, but
you  can still indent it with a fingernail. (wear gloves, of course. Test a
sample of  epoxy off the hatch, so you don't mar the work)

After the second coat, I let the epoxy harden overnight. Then I scrubbed  off
the wax with scotchbrite and Fantastic cleaner, rinsing well with water. You
have to get all the wax off, or the varnish will cloud, and not adhere  well.

After the scotchbrite, I didn't feel I had to sand. I scotchbrite between
coats of varnish too, instead of sanding.

I just use a disposable foam brush to apply the varnish. To avoid bubble
problems, I find If you just dip the edge of the brush in the varnish, and then
don't have to wipe excess varnish off the brush on the inside lip of the can,
and apply the varnish with light, even pressure, there is no bubbling
problem.

After years of using Z Spar Captains Varnish, I've switched to MinWax
Helmsman's Spar Varnish. It's cheaper, and gets as good results. My main,  forward,
cockpit icebox and lazarette hatches are still all varnish finishes. I  put on
10 coats. If the epoxy/varnish finish stands up, that will save alot of

I'll keep you posted,
Lee
Stargazer #255