[Public-list] Timbuktu revival

Michael Grosh dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Sun Sep 25 03:19:53 PDT 2005

Patty,

>now the decision: stick with another
>atomic 4 or convert to the universal 11.2 diesel.

Gas engines are rated by brake horsepower; diesels with shaft HP, so don't
let those numbers fool you.

Does the universal have a reduction gear? If so, that engine, I'm willing to
bet, will swing a bigger wheel (more pitch at least) than the A4. There are
a bunch of corollaries, but a bigger wheel will push an Alberg at, say, 5
knots through a wider range of conditions than the A4.

My Yanmar 15 Hp diesel provides way more useful power than the A4 ever did.
It has 2:1 reduction and a 13X12 prop.

Michael Grosh