[Public-list] repower options

ellen landrum erlandrum at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 05:12:55 PDT 2005

J-
 Just a plug for solar. It has changed our life. We have 2 Shell 85 watt
panels, a charge controller, 2 AGM batteries, and as full-time cruisers,
never start the engine except when we remove the panels during hurricanes
(yikes). We repowered with a Yanmar 3GM, 28hp, which seems a bit too much
horespower for your needs. A 2GM would be more than sufficient to keep you
out of the worst weather and bring you in/out of the dock. It's an 18horse.
Our close friend on another A30 repowered with a Beta and loves it. We love
it too- super quiet, much better access to the oil pump, plugs than our
Yanmar. Either way, the new engine changed our life- it's a dream not to
deal with constant maintenance and we simplified the systems to the point
that our three-year old could run it. Good luck!
 Be well-
Ellen and John Landrum
Rubicon (#72)

http://www.ellenjohnandrubicon.blogspot.com