[Public-list] Longitudinal Center of Gravity

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 27 06:39:13 PDT 2005

John:
    I lift annually and use travel lifts to do so,  then put the boat on a trailer. The lifting straps aft are at the primary winches which puts them just ahead of the rudder shoe. The straps foreward are 4 inches ahead of the forwardmost chainplate. We do tie the straps on both sides of the boat with dock lines fore to aft from strap to strap at or jsut below the waterline at haulout and below the waterline on launch. Normally we lift with about a 10 - 15 degree angle on the deck plane with the aft end of the boat
higher to lessen the possible slippage on the forward strap.  Once you have the straps on either side of the centre of gravity, you will have no trouble lifting. I would think that you will rarely have more than 5500 lbs on one lifting strap, even with non-horizontal lifts and reasonable strap placement. I don't know what you will use for the actual lift, cables or oil hydraulics or a combination of both, but using a single  sheave block on the ends of the strap will halve the lift force.   (With the travel lifts, we
never come close to its weight limit since the one I prefer to use is a homemade,  60 ton unit, but even the commercial ones at 35 tons are without compromise for lifting. I have also used another homemade one of about 20 tons and both the homemade ones are far more controlled for speed of lift than the commercial ones, and thus, much nicer).
    Once on the trailer, I am able to put 10 pads on the hull, 5 a side. They are about 5 feet apart, but not uniform due to the configuration of the hull. The boat sits on a 10 inch wide hickory plank. The biggest danger is in tying the bow down too tightly and breaking the fiberglass. With just 8 of the pads on the hull, I am able to lift the boat off the plank with the screws supporting  the pads.
    George has a picture of the trailer on the website.
    I have also been thinking of making a crane for my workshop, and have felt that I would require about 3000 lbs capacity per corner for an AL30. I have been thinking I could use 4  forklift masts with a good electric hydraulic system,  which would allow for independant lifts on each corner as well as a uniform lift on all 4.
Don