[Public-list] Why , oh, why won't my glow plugs glow?

Bob Crinion bob at fox.nstn.ca
Wed Sep 28 11:22:50 PDT 2005

While on the topic of Glow plugs,
I'll add my two cents worth.

Also does he have a glow plug fuse?
If there is approx 12 volts at the glow plugs then:

This is what my VW Diesel mechanic does, is measure the current going to the
glow plugs. Since all glow plugs are in parallel it is easy to isolate which
one is not working properly. A healthy glow plug draws several "AMPS" but
you need a fancy high current measuring device to check this.

Not to scientific a method, sometimes the mechanic takes out the glow plugs
and connects each one to a battery using battery cables and looks to see if
they glow well. You have to be careful they can get really hot but you can
easily see any difference from one good glow plug to a non glowing plug. If
one plug does not glow hot compared to another, it's the culprit. You could
also have more than one bad glow plug.

Sometimes diesels start OK with one bad glow plug in warm weather conditions
and it is not so noticeable until a second glow plug fails and the engine is
harder to start.

In all the years that I have diesels, it seems that I have to change a glow
plug every three to four years or so.

Never a problem with the glow plug solenoid.

I hope this may help.
-bob