[Public-list] another outboard discussion

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 29 18:07:52 PDT 2005

    I am always amazed at the way modern engineers try to get horsepower or
kilowatts out of small blocks. The way they do it is with fuel injection and
turbochargers - very simple more fuel and or more air. The life of these smaller
blocks is not what the old long stroke,  big bore motors gave us. Be prepared to
buy several of these over the lifetime of  a good inboard.
    At the current time, there are a number of unhappy owners of A4s, primarily
due to either wear on the rings and cylinders from extended usage or  poor
maintenance procedures over the 35 or more years that the motor has been in the
boat. This unhappiness is the result of these motors now  not developing the
hoprsepower they were designed to operate at, which was at least over 18, with a
potential to go over 30. How will a 9.9 HP unit ever provide you with the safety
you require if your sails won't work against a tide,  current or chop? As I have
said earlier this month, the 9.9 is hard at work to propel an Alberg 22 which
weighs 4000 lbs and the same hull design as ours, only on a much smaller scale.
    Since you are  a naval architect and engineer, for a quick test, try the
Alberg hull in a wave tank and see what the drag coefficient does with this
motor that far out on the transom! I have the feeling that 110 lbs on the
transom will be worse than the 350 lbs under the bridge deck for waterline
balance. The other option is to work the propulsion formulae backwards to
determine the required HP with the hull shape/ displacement and desired cruising
speed for the AL30 hull.With the slippage or efficiency factor that you
engineers seem to build in at around 50% , the 9.9 should look very small
indeed, in fact harebrained as you say.
Don