[Public-list] another outboard discussion

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 30 05:12:31 PDT 2005

Try for 25 HP

Mike Lehman
~~~_/)_/)~~_/)~~~

----Original Message Follows----
From: "J Bergquist" <JOHN.R.BERGQUIST at saic.com>
To: <dk.campbell at sympatico.ca>, <j at ship.saic.com>,"'Alberg 30 Public List --
open to all'" <public-list at alberg30.org>
Subject: RE: [Public-list] another outboard discussion
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:56:20 -0400

Don-

Thanks for your comments. All well taken.

1. Not sure about longevity. You might have a good point there. The
longevity of a brand new 4-stroke outboard vs. a reconditioned Atomic 4
built no later than 1982 would, indeed, be an interesting celebrity death
match. I think I'd bet on the Yamaha, personally. But maybe I'd lose.
However, there's a brisk market in used outboards, and 4 strokes bring a
premium. They're hard to come by, so they must be doing something
right...???

2. Okay if 9.9 hp is insufficient, then a 15 hp model costs only $500 more
and still over $1000 less than a rebuilt A4. And - can you believe this -
weighs the SAME as the 9.9! I know at least one owner who has a diesel of 13
hp which he says is sufficient. In big chop, I would hope that I'd be
sailing anyway. I have never understood people's concern with being able to
use the motor in chop. But maybe I am just not experienced enough. Seems to
me it's a sailboat, and if there's chop, there's probably wind. But I
digress from the topic...since an outboard is not hooked up to a 55 or 70
amp alternator or freshwater pump (I would want FW cooling if I got an
inboard), it has more available power to drive the propeller. Of course, the
gearbox losses are probably somewhat higher than a stuffing box and cutless
bearing. But I bet that in the net the outboard produces more available SHP,
in an even comparison. And most people I have spoken to are adamant that the
Atomic 4 never developed 30 HP in an operating Alberg in the first place. If
you look at the power curve for the motor, it develops 25 hp at 3000 RPM.
Depending on the propeller match, most boats are probably using less than
this. The curve is pretty steep as a function of RPM. Note also that the
outboards are available in both standard and high-thrust models, which
basically have different propulsion matching (gearing and propeller). Then
there is the fact that the outboard probably has a much higher propulsive
efficiency (3 blade prop, with only a small stick instead of a full keel in
front of it, and not much in the way of inflow wake), not to mention the
fact that, for racing, you pull the thing out of the water and voila...zero
auxiliary propulsion system drag! In the net, I'd be willing to bet that an
outboard puts FAR more effective power into the water than an inboard of
identical power, on our boats. I don't know if it's 2 to 1, but I'd bet it's
a significant difference.

3. I am not planning to mount the motor on the transom. I thought I was
quite careful to explain I would mount it on the starboard side near where
my existing fuel tank sits. This would put it longitudinally somewhere
between my winch and the aft end of the coaming. I am not sure how you
figure that removing 500# of atomic 4 and adding 100# of outboard about 3
feet further aft is not going to result in a net trim by the bow. I'll let
you work out the arms, trimming moments, and net resultant trim based on the
change in LCG if you want to. And as for roll, I figured I'd add my extra
batteries on the starboard side in such a way that the boat would have a net
zero shift in TCG (and maybe just maybe move LCG far enough back to get the
boat back on her original lines, otherwise I'd have to start figuring how to
take stuff out of the bow). It seems to me that Yves is a pretty smart guy
and he managed to make this kind of system work well. He sure has a lot more
miles of sailing experience than I've got. I don't know. Maybe he sails
around with his bow sticking way up in the air, but somehow I doubt it. By
the way, he claims on his website that his 9.9 hp motor pushes his boat at 6
knots. By my calcs, hull speed at zero heel is 6.25 knots, so that's about
as good as one can expect, I guess. Granted, he's not carrying around 500#
of Atom bomb...maybe that gives him a slightly shorter waterline, and lower
hull speed, but let's not split hairs, eh?

4. Though I am, indeed, a SNAME card carrying naval architect and marine
engineer, unfortunately I don't own a towing tank or a good model of the A30
to figure out the real EHP curve so we could answer our propulsion power
questions with authority. Of course, I could spend some time lofting,
building, and testing one, and I could maybe get a friend who works at the
USNA hydro lab to let me into their teaching tank one night or weekend, but
really I'd rather go sailing. So instead of doing that, I'm asking questions
to this list.

Kind regards,

J Bergquist
Calliope #287

PS. Gail, thanks for the brief on the rules! That would be awesome if I
could still race the boat with this different propulsion system installed!!!

PPS. Anybody have good ideas about how to plug my stern tube? I'd like to
avoid anything too permanent in case somebody else comes along later and
wants to install an inboard... But then again, would also like to avoid
springing a leak!!!