[Public-list] RE: Public-list Digest, Vol 494, Issue 7

J Bergquist JOHN.R.BERGQUIST at saic.com
Fri Sep 30 11:05:20 PDT 2005

Andrew-

I completely agree with you that the change should be offset by carrying
ballast, which is exactly what I am advocating.

I own Lindsay hull #6987, built in 1978, and still very stiff and fast. Mark
Lindsay did, indeed, revolutionize boat construction in the 5o5 class. The
boat I referred to in the previous e-mail is #7200, same hull builder, but
that boat was finished by another man...Larry Tuttle who went on to found
Waterat sailing equipment.

At any rate, as I said before, I am not advocating that a net reduction in
displacement be allowed, or that the net change in LCG or gyradius be
allowed to change.

In other words, I want to HAVE THE OPTION to take my inboard out, replace it
with an outboard, and as much ballast as necessary to make the boat displace
the same amount as other boats and have the same mass properties. This is
the spirit of the rule stipulated by the 5o5 class as well.

I still maintain that as our boats age and parts need replacing, we will
have the continual challenge of allowing people to replace old parts with
modern parts and still maintain a level playing field. This issue is the
same with sails and spars, too!

Your points are very well taken,

JB