[Public-list] Inboard Replacement

Rob Alley 1ralley at comcast.net
Sun Sep 11 20:04:22 PDT 2005

I have to agree with all that George has said.  Further, you will find
that many of the small diesel engines used as inboards are also used to
power generators or as refrigerator power units (without the specialized
((marinized)) pumps or heat exchangers) which make them "marine"engines,
so the engines are readily available if you look in the right places.
All this  "specialized marine" stuff on the engine can be had new or
used for relatively little money.  So,  I think you might find a used,
or even a rebuilt diesel more or less ready to drop in for about the
same price as a new outboard if you look around.  The Universal diesels,
a few years back, were used to power kubota tractors--the only additions
to make them marine power were a sherwood raw water pump and a heat
exchanger in lieu of a radiator and fan.
I urge you to continue to investigate your options.

Best.
Rob