[Public-list] COB while solo

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Tue Apr 4 13:41:00 PDT 2006

Greetings, 'Bergers,

    This is a frightening topic for which all solo sailors must have a
plan-- the possibility of falling over while sailing alone.  Obviously there
are mixed thoughts on this, and each person needs to develop their own
strategies.
    I agree that, especially here in the PNW with water temp well below 50 F
all year, you'd best be sure to NOT fall off in the first place.  I have a
jackline running the centerline of the boat and a short tether.  Jacklines
along the edges of the deck, unless you're well heeled and tied in on the
weather-side line, scare the bejeezus out of me--  the prospect of hanging
over the side by the tether with no way to get up again is a problem for
which it's hard to imagine a solution.  Cutting yourself free would not
result in a happy ending.
    Redundancy with this scenario is a must, though, so the plans for
tripping up the tiller, and/or trailing line, etc. should also be employed.
    For overnight trips I keep the dingy well behind, figuring I can more
easily pile into that from the water than get back on the boat, even when
motoring.  (A stern ladder, too, is installed.)
    Falling off while motoring with autopilot engaged is the biggest hazard,
and really the time not to go about on deck.  I normally find neutral and
idle before going fwd unless I'm tied on.  Even then the risks have to be
kept in mind.
    This is what survival of the "fittest" is all about.
    Just watch it out there!

Randy Katz
Seattle/Bellingham