[Public-list] boom vang, slab reefing

The Rochets rochet at gulfislands.com
Mon Apr 17 23:06:24 PDT 2006

> I have seen a picture of one method of attachment at:
> http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/disorganized/RollerReefingVangAttachment.j
> pg
        Unfortunately, the URL for this web site is no longer valid. Does
anybody know where it can be found?

> The vang is a useful sail control tackle - I would say that as you become an
> experienced sailor you will find it indispensable.  In our boats in
> particular, a 'triangulated' vang that runs from the boom to the heel of the
> mast is an important safety device.  Because our booms are so long, it only
> requires of few degrees of lift to allow the boom to catch on the backstay
> during a jibe.  The triangulated vang will ensure that this can't happen.
    I agree. I can't even think of sailing downwind without a vang.

    How far back from the mast should the vang hook under the boom on the
Alberg 30?

    About slab reefing, are there any guidelines about how high above the
foot of the main the rows of reef points should be (I assume that two rows
is standard)?

    Any info on both the vang and the slab reefing set up would be much
appreciated. This is a very good and very useful discussion.

Thank you.

Bernard Rochet