[Public-list] overboard

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Tue Apr 4 11:36:06 PDT 2006

Another aspect of this problem is discussed in the current Sailing
Magazine. The article, written by a physician (I can not remember his
name right now) says that if you fall into water that is less than 77 F
a whole series of medical problems can develop rather rapidly that mayl
either kill or incapacitate you before you get back on board. Where I
sail  - mostly in Grand Traverse Bay - the water temperature does not
rise above 70 degrees except in the most unusual circumstances in very
very hot summers. In the fall the Spring and Summer water temperatures
are in the mid 50 F. That is way I say, rather seriously, that the main
function of the PDF at these times  is to aid in the recovery of the
body and to facilitae rapid payment of insurance claims. I had the
opportunity in play a role in the rescue of two tourists who had fallen
off their rented Jek Ski. They had been in the water for about 5
minutes, they thought, during July and were already showing signs of
hypothermia when we got them on board. One could not swim, seemed
paniced, and was clinging to his friend.  My guess is that in another
five or 10 minutes they may have been in a lot worse shape.

So, I think Rod makes an important point - the idea is to stay in the
boat and be clipped on in many if not most circumstances if you single
hand. Doing that is not a sign of being a wimp - it's a sign of good
seamanship and realistic caution, I think.

>>> harmony at aztec-net.com 04/04/06 10:11 AM >>>
I feel that all this talk of trailing lines is unrealistic.  25 or 30
feet of line would give about 3 seconds for the person thrown into the
water to get to the surface, orient themselves and swim to the trailing
line.  I wouldn't want to bet my life on all of that happening.  Even if
you did manage to disconnect the autopilot from the tiller,  your boat
will head to windward but I bet it will not stop.  If you are now
swimming, fully clothed and hopefully with a now inflated PFD,  I don't
think you will ever catch your boat.
    I think what we need to concentrate on is going on deck with a
tether that will not let us get overboard should we fall  -  get in the
habit of using it  -  then put all these unpleasant thoughts to rest and
just enjoy the sailing.

Cheers,    Rod