[Public-list] overboard

Kristofer Coward kris at melon.org
Tue Apr 4 11:44:27 PDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 10:11:40AM -0400, Rod  Symmes wrote:
> I feel that all this talk of trailing lines is unrealistic.  25 or 30 feet of line would give about 3 seconds for the person thrown into the water to get to the surface, orient themselves and swim to the trailing line.  I wouldn't want to bet my life on all of that happening.  Even if you did manage to disconnect the autopilot from the tiller,  your boat will head to windward but I bet it will not stop.  If you are now swimming, fully clothed and hopefully with a now inflated PFD,  I don't think you will ever catch your boat.
>     I think what we need to concentrate on is going on deck with a tether that will not let us get overboard should we fall  -  get in the habit of using it  -  then put all these unpleasant thoughts to rest and just enjoy the sailing.

I also don't think the trailing line is realistic, and don't really
want the drag associated with it. The harness is always the first thing
I'd want on, and then I'd want a line leading to my harness so that I'm
not trying to climb back onto a boat that's dragging me behind it at 5
knots.

This is just for single-handing though (or effectively single-handing
on an overnight watch). If there's able crew aboard, I'd expect them to
be able to disengage the autopilot and bring the boat into irons so I
could haul myself back on.

--
Kristofer Coward				http://unripe.melon.org/