[Public-list] Is this true?

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Apr 5 09:53:22 PDT 2006

Hi there Roger -

Sorry to report that what you found is partly true and partly an old wives
tale.  Balls were indeed stacked in pyramids for which gunners were taught a
formula... But never ever in ships.  Can you imagine how you might keep the
pyramids from falling apart in even a slight seaway?

This storage system was only used for ammunition ashore on immovable
platforms.

Gord #426