[Public-list] Boarding ladders & engine lifting

Kristofer Coward kris at melon.org
Wed Apr 5 18:57:28 PDT 2006

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 08:30:38PM -0300, David Parkes wrote:
> Changing the topic slightly, would it be possible to use the technique
> described below (the boom and sheet can be transformed into a lifting
> derrick) to lift the Atomic 4 engine out of the cabin and land it over the
> side?

Last year, I just used the mast crane at my club. I had to use some
thick nylon quadrupled up for the last few feet so the crane cables
wouldn't damage the companionway sill, but it worked beautifully, and I
never had any problems with unwanted swing, or worries about the crane
being strong enough, or set up correctly. I also wouldn't trust my
topping lift to take the load, and would rather only have my main
halyard loaded like that when I'm actually sailing.

Cheers,
Kris
Candy Cane #583

--