[Public-list] Naive Diesel Questions

dickdurk at atlanticbb.net dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Thu Apr 6 07:59:16 PDT 2006

Maybe I can help with some of your questions-my yanmar is
seawater cooled, it has petcocks that I could use to
winterize, though I don't go that route. That suggests
yanmar has a way to drain the seawater side of yours,
which would still leave the problem of winterizing the
water lift muffler.

>direct seawater
> cooled.

The cap and overflow tank
> locations are obvious

If you have a radiator cap you have freswater cooling. You
also have a couple of pencil zincs that need to be
maintained and two cooling water pumps, one fresh and one
seawater. What you take for an expanasion tank is almost
certainly where the cooling tubes are-there should be some
accessable zincs there also

It seems like the engine is well
> below the waterline and would not get below freezing
> in all but the most severe Chesapeake bay weather.

I wouldn't risk it. The engine compartment will get well
below freezing many times in the winter. A heat source is
a possible solution. I've been wanting to check out the
heat sources pet stores sell for reptiles, myself. About
$35.00. That way a bulb won't burn out at an inopportune
time...

I hope there is something you can use in all this

MichaelGrosh