[Public-list] Naive Diesel Questions

sousa_stephen at emc.com sousa_stephen at emc.com
Thu Apr 6 08:22:25 PDT 2006

Peter,

I also own a 2GM20F, the cooling system is broken into two sections. 1) You
have antifreeze in the block as with any auto engine and a heat exchanger
attached to that motor. 2) The heat exchanger has a sea water side drawing
sea water into a one set of cooling tubes. The antifreeze from the block is
feed through another set of tubes in the heat exchanger removing the heat
and using the sea water to cool the antifreeze. Then the mixing elbow at the
tail of the heat exchanger places the sea water into the exhaust cooling
those gases.

We do not have any pencil zincs in this motor, I know it sounds odd but they
don't exist.

As a side note, if you decide to adjust valve clearance the front of the
motor is actual the rear (odd) so the cylinder near the transmission is #1.

As to sailing during the winter, I would think with a bulb in the engine
compartment, it should keep it above freezing. We did this with our
Dickerson 36 for winter sailing in MA.  Any doubt drain the system, the
exchanger is big $$s

Any other questions please ask on line or off. These are great motors.

Stephen