[Public-list] PHII head plumbing

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu Apr 13 21:27:49 PDT 2006

Most of our boats were built for direct overboard discharge, so no
chemicals were necessary.  Any vented loop was generally in the
discharge hose, between the head and the through-hull, so it wouldn't
siphon back after pumping.  The intake was protected as long as you put
the lever on the head pump back to the "dry bowl" position.

If you've got a holding tank, then you'll want something to help with
odors.  The primary defense is an exchange of oxygen, accomplished with
two large vent hoses.  I've also used ordinary "head treatment"
chemicals, which are mostly deodorant.

Prior to swapping in the holding tank for the old Mansfield TDX system,
then the treatment was formaldehyde.  This is a really noxious
chemical--a cure worse than the disease.

This year I plan to try KO
(http://www.raritaneng.com/products/cleaning_maintenance/kills_odors.html),
a product marketed by Peggie Hall of Peal Products before her company
was purchased by Raritan.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.