[Public-list] PHII head plumbing

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Mon Apr 17 07:06:51 PDT 2006

Hi Mike,
I know you are particularly very environmentally aware and my comments were
re the Great Lakes sailors, it wasn't a left handed shot, Canada can be
quite hypocritical about environmental things (I can say that being a
Canuk). Still, it is gross sitting at an anchorage in Lake Ontario and
watching turds being emanated for a boat ahead of you upstream, particularly
when you are swimming - so unnecessary as pumpouts are available everywhere
on the Great Lakes - simply because some Dolt is a cheapskate.

Re your County, well you know politicians and municipal employees, I'm sure
we don't have a monopoly on poky butt coverers up here - it is frustrating.
In Hamilton, they have been building huge holding cisterns - and I mean
huge, to handle storm rain runoff as the storm sewers go through the water
treatment facilities here before being dumped. They are, or were, planning
11 of theses at a huge price - 5 or 6 have been built so far. Before then
they would have to dump the raw water including sewage into the Harbour
which would eventually flow into Lake Ontario in a major deluge or else the
treatment facilities would be flooded out. Slowly, too slowly,
municipalities are trying to do the right thing. I agree it is frustrating
to see things like you described and then think about your Alberg's output -
even after chilinight, it is miniscule - but it is modifiable and I know you
guys are doing your best.

Sadly, as municipalities age, they conveniently forget that things like
sewer lines need replacement, costs are not allocated or are redeployed and
as the infrastructure grows and the more housing that is built, the greater
the downstream maintenance liability becomes. Its a huge problem up here and
I'm sure down there too as scarce recourses are usually allocated elsewhere
under the maxim, out of sight, out of mind.

Talk about old infrastructure - on Burlington St in Hamilton two years ago a
waterline burst - when they dug it up they found the pipes were made of
cedar and were still functioning - it was an "new" iron pipe coupling
retrofitted that let go - that would make them about 150 + years old. Oye
givalt ....

Its a problem to be sure - anyway - no slight was intended to y'all down
there - glass houses and all.

Cheers,
John