[Public-list] Roller Reefing Boom

Peter Staehling staehpj1 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 17 10:41:04 PDT 2006

My experience is mostly single handing on my former
C22.  With no autopilot and only a tiller tamer; all
of my weight moving around made things kind of
unpredictable.  Also I could reach both reefing lines
from the cockpit when hove to, but not necessarily
when the main was eased out depending on the point of
sail.  Slowing the whole thing down by heaving to
seemed to make the whole thing safer, more
controlable, and generally more relaxed.  It seemed
like a good trade off to me.

On the A30 things happen more slowly, my weight moving
about has much less effect, and we have an autopilot
(I haven't yet tinkered with the autopilot).  So I may
be less likely to heave to in the A30.  I will
definitely keep your suggestion in mind as I develop
habits for how things are done on the A30.

Pete