[Public-list] slab reefing, boom vang

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu Apr 20 19:22:39 PDT 2006

Hi Jonathan -

That is exactly what I want to do with my sheet/lift assembly.

Re the reefing - when you say 'mast reef cringle' do you mean 'reef tack'?
I don't know how that can be below the boom.  We ensure that the points are
not causing problems by tying them loosely and always using shoe-bow knots
(they are quick to release).

We reef on any point of sail except dead downwind (you can do that but it is
hard to drag the sail down against the shrouds).

The drill goes like this:

- cast off sheet and vang
- ease halyard and haul down tack (I had a hook welded to the horizontal
gooseneck pin to make the reef tack fast to.  This should be as close as
possible to the natural position for the tack to avoid creating needless
stress on the sail, not to mention a poor set)
- haul taut the halyard, this must happen before the clew comes down.
- haul down the clew with the reefing line.
- on vang, in sheet and you are galloping again.

We then loosely tie reef points to bundle up the bunt later.  The reef line
cleats are on the inboard end of the boom, so the guy at the mast can handle
both the halyard and the line without moving, and with the boom in any
position on any point of sail.

Gord #426