[Public-list] Boom bails

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Fri Apr 21 08:57:16 PDT 2006

Absolutely there Big Don, I now use a wide leather and dacron saddle with
webbing reinforcements and two D rings - it is about a foot wide to straddle
the boom - works great and spreads the load so there are no peak loads in
one spot.strap. Harry Grigat had warned me about the bale hoop I had before
even though there was a compression sleeve. The upside is that when it broke
it was such a clean slice that I only lost about a 1/2" of boom length - it
is now sleeved, twice as strong and will not likely break again.

Steel bales are great for simplicity sake, but when they fail, and it is the
thing attached to that fails - like the boom, well the results can kill ya -
I was lucky, concussion, separated ribs, a month of recouping or so, June
had to sail the boat 89 miles to safe harbour under bare poles and a fair
bit of hubris knocked out of me (maybe not such a bad thing). Could have
been worse.

Yea, I know, you don't intend to be caught with the main up in a sudden
storm that becomes a sustained gale in less than 5 minutes, while you're
working a mayday for another boat on the radio - and you only buy stocks
that go up.

Use a webbing ...

Cheers,

John