[Public-list] Backing an Alberg 30 into a Slip

Peter Staehling staehpj1 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 23 16:28:31 PDT 2006

I always prided myself at being good at backing into a
slip, but Aurora is a real bear to steer in reverse.
It seems like she just about ignores the rudder
position when under power in reverse and responds very
slowly to rudder when coasting.

So far it seems like the rudder has to be used with a
heavy hand when under power and a very light touch
when coasting.

I have been managing to get in and out of the slip,
but I typically take a few approaches before I get it
right.  Fortunately if I chicken out and put it in to
forward, she is much easier to handle.

I could give up and pull into the slip, but I am
determined to learn to back in.

Anyone have any helpful tips?

Pete