[Public-list] Backing an Alberg 30 into a Slip

jon whittle at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 25 12:35:49 PDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Meinhold, Michael J" <MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com>
To: "Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all" <public-list at alberg30.org>
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 9:16 AM
Subject: Re: [Public-list] Backing an Alberg 30 into a Slip

>Dear Listers,
                    Having realised that backing an Alberg 30 is somewhat
like trying to park a car with your eyes closed, I have had to ask myself
some hard questions. 1. Why this insistance that the boat must be reversed
in at all? I now park her nose in, a much easier task. When leaving I always
"hand" the boat out and turn her 90 degrees. I can then hop on and I am off.
Returning to slip now has three options. 1. Backing her if there is
absolutely no wind, no current and no-one watching. 2. Nosing her in when
there is no countervailing wind. 3. "Handing" her in from the end of the
dock finger, which is actually the easiest, even when singlehanding. I only
opt for 1 and 2 if I feel like an adventure or need to get my heartrate up.
I am now beyond showing off, which is a great relief. My wife is much
happier. My cat refuses to step aboard. Regards Jonathan EMMY