[Public-list] Cowl vents

Roger L Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Mon Aug 7 10:43:35 PDT 2006

Hi Ed,

Relative to ventilation at the pointy end, good old #148 has a cut out in
the bulkhead at the forward end of the V-berths (no door) which I always
thought was to allow air from the cowl to circulate aft.  What I couldn't
figure out is where any water from the cowl vent and wet rhode goes.  The
bottom of the locker is below the top of the water tank and it looks like
this wedge shaped volume will contain about a quart of water before it
overflows onto the top of the water tank.  The tank is about an inch below
the plywood bottom of the storage area under the bunks so who knows where
the water goes once it reaches this cavity.

I ended up fiberglassing a plywood floor at the base of the locker a little
above the plane of the V-berths.  At least this will contain the water
before it has a chance to migrate to strange, mysterious places between tank
and plywood.   It is above the water line so, if any water accumulating
there doesn't evaporate in a reasonable time, I can drill holes through the
hull at the aft, outside corners for drainage.

With the drain holes, one could add some clamshell vents at the top of the
bulkhead and create a giant dorade box which could drain water from the cowl
and/or the solar vent you mentioned.  If the smell is a problem, I suppose
an internal dorade box could be installed at the upper aft side of the
bulkhead with drainage into the locker.  This would require relocating the
cowl.  Lastly, the overly ambitious messer about on boats could make an
anchor locker by adding a wedge shaped deck hatch.

Roger