[Public-list] Vetus Muffler system

Tom S. tom.s at insightbb.com
Tue Aug 8 07:55:26 PDT 2006

Bill,

Though you addressed this to Mike I am adding my .02 worth.

I had the same concerns when I installed my new kubota three cylinder
diesel engine.The exhaust elbow was connected directly to a portion of
exhaust hose which then goes to the water lift muffler (not a vetus but
one similar).  Also be aware that the cooling water from the heat
exchanger inters the exhaust elbow above the point where the exhaust
elbow connects to the hose. On my Kubota there is a pretty large volume
of water passing through the heat exchanger and into the elbow. This
keeps that portion of the elbow from becoming too hot. I have been able
to place a hand on the lower portion of the elbow where the hose
connects. Also I have noticed if the lake water is cold (winter and
early spring) my exhaust water where it exits the transom is barely
lukewarm. Not sure if this is good or not but have decided that as long
as the thermostat is working and the engine is at normal operating temp
all should be good.

Tom S
A30  #412
InCahoots