[Public-list] Cockpit coamings revisited.

Brian Zinser bzinser at lssu.edu
Mon Aug 14 07:19:27 PDT 2006

David:

I have hull #134 and I just finished removing the coaming and
refinishing them.  About 5-6 years ago I did it without removing and I
really recommend removing the boards.  It is really pretty easy.  I
used Interlux bedding compound (1 qt is all you need) when I put the
coaming back on.  You can also use Dolphinite, but it is more expensive.

Once off, you can use any stripper since you will not have to worry
about the fiberglass gel.  Then is is simply a matter of sanding, and
either reapply Cetol or equivalent or putting a sealer and varnishing.
I also bleached the wood and have found a two part bleach that is
marketed by Parks Chemicals to work really well.  It is much more
effective than using Oxylic Acid. I have only been able to find it at a
Menards, a home improvement center here in the Midwest although I have
not looked in Canada.  I am going over to Canadian Tire this evening
and will look if they carry it.

Brian Zinser
Manana #134

David Parkes wrote:

>"Sapphira" (#417) is now in Halifax, NS, and I'm about to start
refinishing
>the exterior teak.  For the toe rails, and stern rail I intent to clean
them
>with a teak cleaner and water, then sand the raised grain and apply
Tung