[Public-list] reversing gear (A4)

Meinhold, Michael J MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Mon Aug 28 06:15:05 PDT 2006

This sounds like compression  - if the head is leaking badly then
putting a load on the engine could make it stall. A fouled prop should
not stall a healthy engine - just limit RPMS and power.  It's probably
not the reversing gear if it fails in forward. I would check compression
first - you can get a good idea of compression by just putting your
thumb over one of the cylinder spark plug holes while cranking the
engine. With decent compression you can't keep the hole covered.

A few weeks ago I was about to mess with the reversing gear. The problem
turned out to  be that the choke cable had gotten behind the shifter, so
it stalled in reverse because the shifter was choking the engine.

Mike
Rinn Duin #272