[Public-list] Woolsey winch

Tom S. tom.s at insightbb.com
Tue Aug 29 14:54:52 PDT 2006

Hi Gordon,

I had self-tailing Woolsey cockpit winches on a 1970 Catalina I once
owned. I experienced the same problem and It turned out to be a weakness
of this winch. There are 4 small dogs in each winch which ride in a
grove and serve to prevent the self tailer from going around with the
winch. There was at that time a retired fellow (retired from Woolsey)
who had some of these little dogs which I was able to acquire. He
wouldn't let me buy very many because he did not have that many and this
has been maybe ten years ago.

As I recall you remove the barrel by removing a split ring on the top
and lift off the barrel. The problem being when the little pin sheers
off of the little sliding dog it wedges the barrel and you really have
to put some stuff on it to get it off. If you have a good one try
removing the barrel so you can better see what you are dealing with.

I presume you have not had yours apart. Correct?

I believe you could get these little dogs duplicated at a machine shop
if you took one to them.

Tom s
A30 412